Submittal Forms
Current Contests
Recent Contests

ARRL June VHF Contest   2017   Jun 10   Claimed Score

Click on a call below for a list of all the contests for which that call sign is listed as an operator. Click on the [email] link to send an e-mail to the contester who posted the claimed score.

Call: W9SZ
Operator(s): W9SZ
Station: W9SZ

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: Illinois
Operating Time (hrs): 12.0

Summary:   Compare Scores
Total:3935Total Score2,485


Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:     [email]     2017-06-13 16:48:59
Operating portable, every contest is different, has different conditions. This year, the wind was my nemesis. When I got to the top of the hill I like to use, the wind was constantly blowing in the range of 35 to 45 mph. I had great difficulty putting up the mast with 6m through 432 MHz. I didn't bother with the higher bands on Saturday. I made one QSO on 6 meters, and then I decided the antennas were too unstable and possibly weren't going to stay up. I took them down, removed the 6m beam, shortened the mast by 5 feet and put 144, 222 and 432 back up. When I got to the hill, I also found there was a huge crane truck in the drive right at where I usually set up. I parked about 50 feet from it, slightly down from the peak of the hill. I noticed that my beams, particularly the 144 MHz beam, weren't very directional at all. I suspect it was caused by the truck nearby. The truck was probably there to service the windmill farm in the area. Conditions were mostly poor to average. Later in the evening on Saturday I did work people in EM96 and EM97 on 144 MHz. I went to sleep around 11 pm local time. A little after midnight I woke up. Something was telling me to turn on the rig and see who might be around. I heard KA1ZE/3 BOOMING in on 144 MHz. I worked him. That was 555 miles - probably my farthest QSO on 2m ever with 6 watts. Sunday morning the wind was calmer, so I set up the higher bands. I made quite a few QSO's on 902 and 1296 and also worked Bob K2DRH on 2304 and 3456. By that time the wind was picking up again and I had to hold the microwave dish tripod while balancing the IF rig on the window ledge of the car to make those QSO's. I took the dish off the tripod after I was done for fear it would blow over. I quit around noon local time because I'd had enough of the wind. Oh well ... next time will be better.