Submittal Forms
Current Contests
Recent Contests

ARRL DX Contest, CW   2018   Feb 17   Claimed Score

Click on a call below for a list of all the contests for which that call sign is listed as an operator. Click on the [email] link to send an e-mail to the contester who posted the claimed score.

Call: KH7M
Operator(s): K1YR NA2U
Station: KH6ZM

Class: M/S HP
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Location: Other Oceania

Summary:   Compare Scores
Total:4171297Total Score3,716,361


Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:     [email]     2018-02-19 18:48:27
ARRL DX CW WRITE-UP Lou and I arrived in Hilo mid-evening on Thursday. Max, KH6ZM, picked us up at the airport and we were off on the 45-minute drive to Max’s QTH. By the time we arrived it was too late to operate radio. You know what they say about getting a good nights sleep the day before a contest. We did do some computer set up. Then I needed to network the two computers. We would log on one and run a backup log on the second. These two “new” used computers had been networked using Writelog but not N1MM. I have networked two computers a few times using N1MM+. It’s a piece of cake. The computers saw each other but would not pass data. More hair-pulling. Unable to solve this I sent off an email to the N1MM reflector. John, K3CT, responded overnight (thanks, John) with a suggested fix and commented that it might be a firewall issue. I found that the Win7 firewall was blocking the data exchange. I made some adjustments and we were in business. We were prepared to use an MP1000 in the contest. Max toasted his FTDX5000 in the Oceania contest in October and it had not yet been returned from the Yaesu doctor. It was expected at any time. My fingers were crossed because I’ve never even seen a 1000 and I wasn’t looking forward to learning a new radio in a trial-by-fire. I’ve used the 5000 here before. Not long after breakfast Friday morning Max announced that the 5000 would arrive “sometime” on Friday. The contest was to start at 2:00pm. We had to decide on the deadline for swapping out the rig. We decided that we would use the 5000 if it arrived by noon. It arrived just before lunch. We ate and then began swapping rigs. Max got everything hooked up by about 1:15pm. I had to reset the radio and CW comports now in N1MM for the 5000. This took way too much time but we finally got the ports configured. I’ll write documentation for this and leave it with Max. It was now only 20 minutes before the contest. This would not be the relaxed start we would have preferred but we were ready to go. Pretty hairy but not as hairy as the guys at KH6J(@KH6YY) who were installing their new 2-ele 80m yagi with a helicopter Friday morning! Once these issues were settled all hardware worked well throughout the contest with one exception. During a thunderstorm just after noon on Sunday we lost power but only for an instant. Once the computer rebooted we were OK again. Just like last year I started on 15m and in less than an hour moved to 20m. Our best 60-minute rate was in the first two hours. Friday night was fairly uneventful. Noise on 80m/160m was not too bad. Saturday morning Lou told me how dreadful the 1200-1600 UTC time slot was. Very slow. We were monitoring 10m on an SDR and watching Telnet spots. Predictions were for brief but poor openings. We caught those openings both days. Initially we thought 10m would be a total bust but we were pleasantly surprised. Saturday night local thunderstorms caused terrible, relentless static crashes throughout the night severely hampering our low-band efforts. It was my turn to take a shift starting at 4:00am local (1400 UTC). It was more dreadful than Lou had described, including a button-busting 14-Q hour. This confirmed why these are my sleep hours when I do single-op here! Rate slowed greatly Sunday afternoon. After the 45-minute 10m opening we moved to 15m and then to 20m. The rate seemed slow as the end approached. Then, with about 10 minutes remaining, it was like guys had been waiting behind a rock and then all of a sudden they ran at us. In the furious final 5 minutes I worked 15 guys and by the end we were laughing so hard we couldn’t stop. At one point Lou saw the 10-minute rate hit 202. We had all the signs that we would, at best, crawl across the finish line. We’ll remember this one for a long time! Congrats and thanks to the 20 stations we worked on all six bands. Score compared to my single-op effort last year: +591 Qs, -12 multipliers, +404,190 points Lou and I last did multi-single here in 2015. It was fun doing it again. More sleep (my contesting nemesis) than single-op, too. Lou introduced me to Max in 2013 and I’ve contested here each year since then. Thanks, again, Lou. Thanks to Max and his XYL, K-A-T-H-Y, for being gracious hosts. The great food doesn’t stop. The local papayas with fresh-squeezed lime are to die for! And thanks to all for the Qs. 73 and aloha from the Big Island, Fred/KH6/NA2U